Followers

Monday 11 July 2016

Black & White with a touch of blue, or, You don't know, what you don't know quilt.

My eldest granddaughter Jaime-Leigh asked for her quilt to be made using Black, White and just a touch of Blue, also, she was unable to find a design she liked in my piles of quilting design books and magazines, which left me with no option to design it myself.

Have you ever heard the saying "You don't know what you don't know"? well that was me, never designed a quilt before and gungho as always thought "how hard can it be? Well let me tell you, it wasn't hard at all, despite people telling me I was somewhat 'Brave' to tackle it, I honestly found it quite easy.
I did after all base it on a simple 9 patch, the hardest part was deciding my fabric legend, once that was done I was off and running. Oh I also decided to make the quilt using quilt as you go and I used Some Westalee free motion ruler templates to do this. You can find how to use Westalee rulers here: Westalee YouTube Videos. You can purchase them here: Punch with Judy Westalee Design Rulers.

I have done 1 online course with Punch with Judy using the original rulers, I can now call myself and 'Original Ruler" since there have been several courses since the very first course which I did. I'm currently enrolled to do the Mystery quilt as you go quilt using templates not yet available for general sale, nor will you find these videos on You tube since they are only for this course, they will probably be posted at some later date by Westalee or Punch with Judy, I can't say.

Anyway, back to my YDKWYDK ( You don't know what you don't know) quilt, In all honesty I can't say it was all plan sailing, I made mistakes and it's far from perfect, but I was sort of happy with the end result, and it does look rather nice. Jaime-Leigh loves it and that's all that matters to me.

Here is a photo of the completed quilt.

Here it's hanging from my curtain rail, the only way I could get the whole thing photographed. It's a queen bed size.
The next photo is a closer look at the quilting. Each 12" block has this same free motion quilting done using Westalee Designs Circles on Quilts Wreath 15 COQW 15 Template.


I hope you like my Granddaughters quilt, and if it inspires you to step out of your comfort zone and make your own original and unique quilt, then wonderful, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you for stopping by, hope you visit again when next I post.

Ps, my next project is the Labyrinth walk quilt, it's AMAZING!!! I'm currently in the process of quilting it, It's hard work on a domestic machine I tell you, but I won't let that stop me getting the look I want. So far I've learned how to do pebbles quite well if I do say so myself. Lol.
Bye for now.
Beth

No comments: